Between adult children and their aging parents
Paperback. 224 Pages
In this timely book, family counselors Gerald and Marlene Kaufman urge adult children and their parents to have direct conversations about the decisions that lie ahead as parents age. The Kaufmans suggest that families use their parents' retirement as the benchmark for having the first discussion about their parents' plans for the next phase of their lives. The Kaufmans point out that most families wait until they're faced with a crisis before having these conversations. The big questions facing aging adults are:
1. Where should they live as they become less able to care for a property?
2. How will they manage their finances so that they are as prepared as possible to meet their needs as they age? Are they ready to invite one or more of their children to become their partners in making financial decisions?
3. Are they ready to invite one or more of their children to become their partners in making their medical decisions?
4. How can parents and children work together in determining when it's no longer safe or wise for the parents to drive?
5. What end-of-life decisions should parents be prepared to make? What is the best way to have those discussions?
Necessary Conversations is filled with stories and examples from many families, most with different life circumstances, but all facing these same issues. The chapters end with "Getting Started," a list of suggestions for action, as well as "Questions" for focusing on practical outcomes to the discussions. The book includes a series of exhibits—from a "Needs Assessment for Caregivers" to a "Medications and Supplements List" to a "Driving Contract and Checklist." A thoughtful and useful guide to a life stage that's often dreaded and muddled through. Gerald W. Kaufman and L. Marlene Kaufman have been family counselors for nearly 40 years. This book grew out of a seminar they were asked to lead with their adult daughter and her husband.
Ordering from Outside the USA?
Here’s the heart commitment of the Generations ministry: we want to make our Christ-centered curriculum affordable and accessible to every Christian family in the world. Missionary or single parent families may be eligible for additional assistance - see HERE for details.
Option 1 - Digital Curriculum
The benefit of our digital curriculum package is that you can get it immediately and without paying the extra expense of postage. Your family is free to print out as many copies as you wish for your family’s use. We also offer the digital curriculum packages at a much-reduced cost for missionaries, international Christian families on a tight budget, and other ministry workers. Note: a few curriculum items are not available in our digital packages due to licensing restrictions from other publishers.
Option 2 - Free Shipping for Generations Products
We also offer free shipping on Generations Products for most international shipments with the following requirements:
- Generations Core Curriculum packages and Generations-published curriculum products can be purchased at retail price (no discounts). Items within our "International Ordering" product collection are the only items that qualify for this free shipping policy.
- Once qualifying international items in your cart total $200 USD or more, free shipping will be automatically applied.
Note: Shipping on any non-Generations items is charged according to live shipping rates provided in our shopping carts. Generations reserves the right to cancel any order if a workable shipping option can't be found.
For questions relating to our international shipping policy, email firstname.lastname@example.org.