How Jesus Built His Church Set
A Survey of Church History
Church history is the study of the greatest undertaking the world has ever known: Jesus Christ building His kingdom. Even though the church faces persecution, suffering, and a decline in numbers at times, the kingdom of Christ marches on. The gates of hell will not prevail against the onslaught of Jesus and His disciples. Christ will triumph against the forces of spiritual darkness. This is the story of the church.
As century follows century, much of the work accomplished by the followers of the Carpenter from Galilee may not appear on the front page of newspapers. But when the dust settles and the history books are written, we find a church growing and expanding across the globe. We find Christian hospitals and orphanages everywhere. We find Christian culture impacting every aspect of human life on planet Earth! This is how the mustard seed and the leaven works. It is slow. It is subtle. But it does really grow.
The tale of Christ’s kingdom is both fascinating and full of surprises. It includes pastors and teachers as well as people from every background and all walks of life. From kings and royal courtiers to tradesmen and peasants, Christ builds His church through living stones. Through their stories, we can observe how God’s faithfulness has beautifully and masterfully preserved His people through more than twenty centuries. Then and now, Christ’s kingdom is growing, and His building work continues to this day.
Textbook Table of Contents:
Unit 1: The Early Church - AD 30-500
- Chapter 1: In the Fullness of Time
- Chapter 2: The Church Faces Opposition
- Chapter 3: Writings from the Early Church
- Chapter 4: Christian Worship and Doctrinal Development
- Chapter 5: Leaders of the Early Church
- Chapter 6: More Leaders of the Early Church
Unit 2: The Early Middle Ages - AD 500-1000
- Chapter 7: Missionary Expansion
- Chapter 8: Christian Monasticism
- Chapter 9: The Rise of Islam
- Chapter 10: The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 11: Schism in the Church
Unit 3: The Late Middle Ages - AD 1000-1500
- Chapter 12: Universities and Scholasticism
- Chapter 13: Monasticism in the Middle Ages
- Chapter 14: The Papal Schism and the Conciliar Movement
- Chapter 15: Reform Efforts in the Middle Ages
Unit 4: The Reformation - AD 1500-1600
- Chapter 16: The Dawn of the Reformation
- Chapter 17: The Reformation in Germany
- Chapter 18: The Swiss Reformation in Zurich
- Chapter 19: The Anabaptist Movement
- Chapter 20: The Reformation in Geneva
- Chapter 21: William Tyndale and the English Bible
- Chapter 22: The Reformation in England
- Chapter 23: The Reformation in Scotland
- Chapter 24: The Catholic Counter Reformation
Unit 5: The Post-Reformation Period - AD 1600-1750
- Chapter 25: Puritans, Separatists, and Covenanters
- Chapter 26: Pietists, Arminians, and Baptists
- Chapter 27: Christianity in Colonial America
- Chapter 28: The Great Awakening
- Chapter 29: Apostasy and Doctrinal Decline in the Church
Unit 6: The Age of Missions and the Modern Period 1750-Present
- Chapter 30: The Modern Missionary Movement
- Chapter 31: Revivals and Cults in the 19th Century
- Chapter 32: Fundamentalists and Liberals
- Chapter 33: Persecutions in Eastern Europe
- Chapter 34: Christians in World War II
- Chapter 35: Persecutions in China and Korea
- Chapter 36: Christian Leaders and Movements of the 20th Century
Ordering from Outside the USA?
Here’s the heart commitment of the Generations ministry: we want to make our Christ-centered curriculum affordable and accessible to every Christian family in the world. Missionary or single parent families may be eligible for additional assistance - see HERE for details.
Option 1 - Digital Curriculum
The benefit of our digital curriculum package is that you can get it immediately and without paying the extra expense of postage. Your family is free to print out as many copies as you wish for your family’s use. We also offer the digital curriculum packages at a much-reduced cost for missionaries, international Christian families on a tight budget, and other ministry workers. Note: a few curriculum items are not available in our digital packages due to licensing restrictions from other publishers.
Option 2 - Free Shipping for Generations Products
We also offer free shipping on Generations Products for most international shipments with the following requirements:
- Generations Core Curriculum packages and Generations-published curriculum products can be purchased at retail price (no discounts). Items within our "International Ordering" product collection are the only items that qualify for this free shipping policy.
- Once qualifying international items in your cart total $200 USD or more, free shipping will be automatically applied.
Note: Shipping on any non-Generations items is charged according to live shipping rates provided in our shopping carts. Generations reserves the right to cancel any order if a workable shipping option can't be found.
For questions relating to our international shipping policy, email firstname.lastname@example.org.